We are the people of Communication.
We are people who love stories.
That is why our Museum, the OTE Group Telecommunications Museum, has many stories to tell.
Stories of communication, starting from Friktories, the optical transmission of messages via fire, the sound of the horn and reaching as far as the electric telegraph, telephones, satellites, the internet and of course, mobile phones. The OTE Group Telecommunications Museum’s unique Collections unfold the evolution of telecommunications, one of the most significant sectors of technology. At the same time, the Museum rolls out the history of our company which is closely linked to Greece and its development.
The Museum scope includes:
- Organisation of exhibitions
- Guided tours for groups and individual visitors
- Planning & implementation of innovative educational programmes
- Use and development of new technologies
- Digitization and documentation of our Collections
- Technical support and preservation of our collections
“Our vision is to present the communication stories that have changed and continue to change our world. We do this by conventional and digital means, offering an integrated interactive experience for everyone.”
- to enrich, preserve, research and exhibit collections and archival material on the history of telecommunications
- to document and digitize the museum’s collections, promoting them on the major digital platforms for cultural heritage
- to research and capitalize on OTE’s corporate heritage with the aim of contributing to the recording & communication of Greece’s technological and industrial heritage
- to function as a dynamic informal educational organization for schools and the academic community
- to support scientific research in the fields of History of Technology, Telecommunications Science, History, Architecture and Photography
- to be an open organization that – through permanent, temporary and travelling exhibits, educational programmes, events and publications – maintains a constant dialogue with the public
- to implement the principles of environmental sustainability
- to function, through all its initiatives, as an inclusive agent for social cohesion
The Policy of the Telecommunications Museum concerns the protection and the modes of operation and management of the Museum. Its vision & mission, strategy, accessibility, content and management of Collections, openness actions, and sustainability are some of the issues that are described in detail.
The basic sections of the Policy of the Telecommunications Museum are as follows:
- Description of the Museum
- Vision – Mission
- Strategy – Digital Strategy
- Organisational chart
- Building Security
- Documents-Procedures for Communicating with the public regarding Collections
- Obtaining/Removing Collections
- Collection Management Policy
- Collection Interpretative Policy
- Museum Openness Actions
- Measurement of Satisfaction with Services Provided
- Financial issues
The Museum’s Policy enhances public trust so that the Museum can continue to be a centre for preserving Collections for coming generations. The history of Telecommunications through the Museum’s Collections is inextricably linked with the economic, technological, political, and social history of Greece.
For more information, please contact the Museum.